We've significantly improved Givebutter Elements, including a rebrand to Widgets.
Our goal for these updates was to:
- Make installation and setup as easy as possible.
- Improving widgets onboarding with platform-specific instructions.
- Ensure full support of widgets on Wix.
- Improve the widgets library so that it is faster and more reliable.
To get started, navigate to a campaign you have, then select
Widgets. You can also access widgets under
From here, you'll want to select from the platform you use to host your site. We have options for the following:
If you use another platform, you can select "I use another platform."
When you select another platform, you'll see instructions to install the widgets library on the platform you selected.
For additional support, you can reference our guide on widgets. You can also reference our API
Embedding a widget
Once the widgets library is installed, you can embed a widget.
You'll see two widgets automatically created for you under the
Widgets. These are ready to embed without any further configuration. You can click
</> Embedto open a set of instructions that will instruct you on how to embed the widget you selected.
Configuring a widget
You have two options if you'd like to configure a widget or create new widgets.
- From the widgets page, under CampaignsorAccount Integrations, you can click the gear icon onButtonsto configure existing widgets.
- On the account settings page, you'll have the option to create a new widget.
When configuring a widget, you'll have the following options:
Configuring your widget as a
Buttoncan be placed anywhere on your website and will open a donation popup when a user clicks it. A
Formwill appear directly on a page.
If you select a
Form, you can only configure the widget name and the campaign it is for.
When you select a button, you will have the following options:
- Ability to name a widget.
- Select which campaign the widget applies to.
- Select whether a button is static or floating. Static buttons only appear where they are placed on your website. Floating buttons are viewable anywhere a viewer scrolls on the page.
- Select a background color.
- Edit the button CTA.
- Change the thickness of the button's outline and choose an outline color.
- Adjust the corner radius to make the button more square or rounded.
- Select the label color, which applies to the button's icon and CTA.
- Select an icon.
- Select left or right alignment for the icon.
- Enable a background shadow.
Once you've configured your widget, you can
Create Widgetand follow the instructions to embed it.
We've made several updates to creating and managing ticket promo codes to make them more flexible to your needs.
These updates include:
- An update to the promo code UI
- The ability to set a promo code usage limit
- The ability to indicate if a promo code is percentage-based or dollar-based
- The ability to select which ticket types a promo code should apply to
- The ability to see how many times supporters used a promo code.
- The ability to see the total discounts applied with a promo code
Setting up a promo code
To set up or manage promo codes, navigate to
Here you'll be able to create new promo codes or see any you've already created.
To create a new promo code, select
New promo code. A drawer will open where you can create a promo code.
You'll have the option to create the following:
- Input the name.
- Selce the type. You can choose fixed amount, which will discount the purchase by a dollar amount, orpercentage, which will discount the purchase by the percent you choose (ex. 10%).
- Choose the quantity. By default, the quantity is unlimited. Selecting Limit towill allow you to input the number of times a promo code can be applied.
- Apply the promo code to all tickets or specific ticket types.
- Indicate whether the code is active or not.
- Auctions can now be published or unpublished. When unpublished, an auction will no longer appear on the campaign page. Note that an auction cannot be unpublished if it has received bids.
- Require check instructions to enable checks as a payment method.
- Second chance This allows you to offer an item to the next highest bidder if the original winner did not purchase the item. The second chance bidder will have 72 hours to complete payment once you've offered the item to them.
- The mobile UI for bidder registration and placing a bid was updated to make it more apparent that registered bidders can sign in to place a bid.
- The winning bids export includes item id, bidder number, and item retail price column.
- Adjust what auction settings persist when duplicating a campaign with an auction. All auction and item date fields will be cleared, and the auction and items will be set to draft.
- Truncated text in the auction items table when item names were longer than the column width. Users can hover over an item's name to see it in full.
- Updated new supporter email admins get for Buy Now purchases.
- Improved error messaging when a transaction is submitted and processed but there was an error afterward.
- Custom contact fields can now be imported when importing contacts.
- Added a Contact import template that dynamically shows custom field names as headers in an account's import template.
- Multi and single-select custom fields can now have up to 50 response choices.
- Format country in transaction plans import.
- Added the campaign ID (code) to the transactions export.
- Launched Household summary charts, which allow you to see a giving summary for all members of a household. You can also filter by "Year to date", "Last year", and "All time".
- View transaction details directly from the contact timeline without being redirected to the transactions page.
- Contacts can be filtered by custom fields.
Automated Bidding and Standard Bidding
There are now two bidding methods that you can choose from when configuring your auction.
- Standard Bidding(default): Bidders place one bid at a time. If a bidder is outbid, they'll receive a notification and can place another bid.
- Auto-bidding: Bidders can set a max bid when placing their bid. The system automatically places bids until a bidder's max bid threshold is reached.
Cancel bids and auction items
- Admins can now cancel a bid on an item. When a bid is canceled, the next highest bidder will become the top bidder.
- Admins can now cancel an item. When an item is canceled, it will result in the item not having a winner.
- The item reserve price is now editable if an item has bids. Previously, this was not adjustable if an item had received a bid.
- Added an anonymity checkbox to the Buy Now Flow, allowing bidders to indicate whether or not they'd like their name to be publicly viewable.
- The starting bid amount does not have to align with the bid increment amount. For example, you could have a starting bid amount of $20 and a bid increment of $3.
- Custom contact fields can be included as columns in your contact import.
- Custom contact fields and households will appear as columns in the contact export.
- The contact search now searches the company field and will return contacts that match the search terms that have been entered.
- When creating or editing a household, you can now add an envelope name for that household.
- Admins can merge tags from the tag management page.
- Added a "Continue "Anyway" button to the Live Display app for viewers accessing the Live Display from a screen that is smaller than our suggested dimensions.
- The "Share this Fundraiser" URL on a team member's page will now include the URL for that team member's page. Previously, this URL linked to the main campaign page.
Email and SMS templates
You can choose from six email or four SMS templates when creating a message in Engage.
To use a template, navigate to the
Engagetab and click
Start with template.
You can select the template you'd like to use from this modal and hit
Start with template. You can choose the contacts you'd like to send your message to and update the template before sending it to your supporters.
- Users can customize the link that their logo goes to in Engage.
- Added support for "Reply to" addresses in Engage.
- Timezone is displayed in the "Scheduled for" time in Engage.
- Duplicating Engage messages includes attachments.
- Test email messages cannot be sent when an account's domain is pending.
- Bidders who purchase an item using Buy Now will have their phone number surface in the Winning Bid information on the Winning Bids tab on your auctions dashboard.
- Bidders can delete a payment method they added when they registered as a bidder. Note that this can only occur if an auction has ended. Bidders cannot delete their payment method if items with custom dates are still active or if they have not paid for times they've won.
Updated the logic used to sort auction items on public-facing auction pages. Items are sorted by the groupings listed below. Active and coming soon items will appear above sold and unsold items.
1) Active and Coming Soon
- Active items will appear above coming soon items.
- Default sort is ending soonest.
2) Sold and Unsold
- Sold items will appear above unsold items.
- Default sort is ended soonest.
In cases where items end(ed), we fall back to sorting alphabetically.
- Surfaced more descriptive errors in the mobile app when a payment does not succeed.
New contact creation and edit form
We've made several improvements to our contact creation form and contact detail pages to make it easier to manage your contacts and support some of the new features below and in our 2023 roadmap.
When creating or editing a contact, you can manage the following fields:
- First, middle, and Last name
- Company and title
- Phone number
- Address: Automatically auto-completes the address you enter
- Custom fields (if applicable)
- Indicate Engage subscription preferences for Email and SMS
On the contact details page, we've organized the page into a sidebar and five tabs:
On the profile tab, you can manage the following:
- General personal information about a contact, including adding multiple phone numbers
- Add/edit addresses
- Add/edit social accounts
- Manage Engage subscriptions
- Add/edit custom field responses (if applicable)
- If the DonorSearch integration is enabled, you can run a wealth screening on a contact.
From a contact page, you can create a Household by navigating to the
Householdtab and clicking
+ Create New
You can also add a contact to an existing household by clicking
Join Householdand typing in the name of that household.
When you add a contact to an existing household, you can create relationships between that contact and other household members.
When a contact is a member of a household, you'll be able to:
- View all members of that household.
- Make a member the primary contact of the household.
- View the contact detail page for anyone in the household.
- Remove a contact from a household.
From a contact page, you can create a relationship for that contact by navigating to the
Relationshiptab and selecting
+ Add relationship.
In the Create Relationship sidebar, you can search for a contact and define the relationship between the current and related contacts.
- Added a new page to manage tags under Actions>Manage Tags. You can add, edit, delete, or search tags from this page. You can also click the number of contacts associated with a tag to see a list of contacts filtered by that tag.
As an account admin, you can now issue refunds to your donors!
How to issue a refund
Transactions, you can select a transaction and use the menu on the right (three dots) to select
From here, you'll select a reason for the refund and confirm the refund.
Once a transaction is refunded, it will have a
Refunds will be reflected in a donor's account in 5-10 business days.
If you do not have a sufficient campaign balance to issue a refund, the refund option will be disabled.
For more information, you can see our Help Center article on issuing refunds.
- You can now use a Givebutter domain when configuring Engage emails if you don't have your own email domain.
- Donors will now receive an email confirming their refund once it is successfully processed. This email includes information about transaction refunded.
- Import CSVs now add an "Errors" column in the error CSV download so you can see all the errors of a particular row and fix them in your CSV directly. The dashboard now displays the first 100 errors as a preview
- When setting up an auction, you can now disable anonymous bidding.
- The starting bid is now displayed on the main auction page when there are no bids
- When an auction item is canceled, we now display a "canceled" banner on public-facing auction pages.
- Sold items will now have a green banner that reads "Sold." Previously all sold items had a red "Ended" banner.
- Added a section to bid modal that better explains to bidders how auto-bidding works.
- When a bidder is registering, they can confirm their email via a code or a link if they're having trouble verifying their code.
- On the items page of the Auctions dashboard, admins will now see a link to TheShareWay when they have no items added. Givebutter is partnering with TheShareWay to help nonprofits source auction items from companies.
- Account admins can toggle supporter feed notifications on and off for all campaigns or on a per campaign basis. This can be toggled from Account>MyNotifications.
- Increased size of Download Ticketicon on the transactions details view for admins.
- Resolved several issues that prevented donations from successfully syncing to Bloomerang.
- Fixed bullet list styling in WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors to ensure text size is consistent with non-bulleted text.
- Added a "Campaign Code" column to the Campaigns table on the "All Campaigns" page.
- Campaign countdown timer will now show the number of months and weeks remaining (ex. 1 month 3 weeks remaining) so that it is more accurate when there is more than a month left in a campaign.
- Sharing a campaign team member page via email will now link to that team member’s page instead of the campaign page.
- Click “Load more” team members from a team page w/ more than 12 members should no longer load all members for the entire campaign.
- Launched the Givebutter Status page: https://status.givebutter.com/. This page will display the status for: Fundraising Pages, the API, the Dashboard, and the Marketing Site.
- The donate modal on campaign pages will no longer close when clicking on the background and instead only on the X button.
- The WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor for auction item descriptions now has an emoji picker.
- When using an auction filter, results will now sort by ending soonest first.
- When searching on the auctions page, a message now appears if there are no results matching a search.
The ability to import transactions is here! You can now have a full view of your donors and their giving history in Givebutter by tracking donations that occurred outside of Givebutter.
With the release of transaction imports, you can now import your organization's historical transactions or offline transactions that were not recorded in Givebutter.
How to import transactions
Transactions, you can click
An Import transactions modal will appear. From here, you can manually enter transactions directly into the spreadsheet UI or you can upload transactions from a file.
You can use this template when importing transactions from a file.
Columns with an asterisk are required. If a column has a tooltip, you can hover over it to see a description of that column and any notes or required formatting.
When uploading a file, you will be taken through several steps to:
- Indicate whether or not you have column headers
- Confirm the mapping of your columns to the appropriate field
- Review your import. When reviewing, you can identify rows with problems or show any modifications that were made in the prior step.
- Once you've reviewed your import you can submit.
Once you've submitted your import, via manual entry or file upload, you'll see a message confirming your submission. You will be notified via email once the import is complete. You can see the status of your import by clicking the link in the email or from the
Transactionspage, by clicking
Once your import is complete, you will get an email letting you know that the import has finished. You can click the
View Importslink to view more details about the import.
If an import has no failed rows, you'll see the number of rows that were successfully imported.
If rows failed, you will see:
- The number of rows that failed
- The specific rows that failed
New Transaction Fields
- Allows you to attribute transactions to campaigns that do not exist in Givebutter
- If a campaign with this title does NOT exist in Givebutter, we will create a new Externalcampaign. If a campaign with this title does exist, we will attribute the transaction to the matching campaign.
- The Campaign Titlefield will be ignored if there is a value in theCampaign Codefield.
- Campaigns created through a transaction import will appear in your list of all campaigns with the Externaltag. External campaigns are not editable and do not have a public facing campaign page.
- External campaigns will appear in the Campaigns filter.
- Allows you to list the external source of the imported transactions
- Allows you to list the transaction id that appears in your external source.
- Allows you to easily tie together transactions from an external source to Givebutter if needed in the future.
- The date that a gift was acknowledged
- If a donation was made via check, you can list the check number.
- This field also appears in the transaction details view and is editable.
Check Deposit Date:
- If a donation was made via check, you can list the date that the check was deposited to your organization's bank.
- This field also appears in the transaction details view and is editable.
New Transaction Filters
- Check deposited: Allows you to filter transactions made via check by whether or not they have been deposited.
- Creation type: Allows you to filter by whether or not a transaction is External.
- External label: Allows you to filter using any External Labelsyou added when importing external transactions.
Major Feature Releases
- Givebutter's mobile app
- Bulk End of Year Contact reports
- Donor Advised Funds as a payment method through our partnership with Chariot
We've made a number of improvements to the
home tabon the dashboard in Givebutter.
- Updated the onboarding flow for new accounts.
- Added advanced reporting that allows filter donation activity by date and campaign. Additionally, the donation volume chart and cards show you the percentage change compared to the previous time period.
- Made it easier to setup a Givebutter Element from the dashboard.
We've also rolled out updates to a number of other features within Givebutter:
- Live display can now display on screens with a minimum size of 900px by 600px.
- Added unsubscribe filter to SMS.
- Draft messages in Engage will now show the estimated number of recipients.
- Admins and donors will receive a notification every time someone comments on an activity in a campaign supporter feed.
- You can can now click "View" from the Auction Itemdetails page to open up the public-facing auction item page in a new tab.
- QR codes for Auction Items can be exported. You can export QR codes only or QR codes & item details.
- An auction can be deleted or canceled. If an auction has received no bids, you can delete it. If the auction has received one or more bids, you'll be able to cancel the auction. Any items that have already ended and have a winner will be marked as won.
- Bids that are disqualified will no longer show on the bid history feed for an auction.
- You can now add a manual bid on behalf of a registered bidder. You can do this from the Auction Itemdetails page on the auctions dashboard. The amount entered will be the current bid amount for that bidder.